Monday, March 21, 2011

guinness ice cream


I totally realize that it would have made much more sense to have posted this last Thursday but I didn't know I was going to be making this until Thursday. The first text I received on St. Patrick's Day was "Let's make Guinness ice cream". It was from the hubs and it really meant will you please make me some Guinness ice cream. When I asked if there was a recipe he had in mind, I received "I trust u". So who do I trust when it comes to ice cream perfection...David Lebovitz. I pulled out my The Perfect Scoop book and started to flip. I found Guinness-Milk Chocolate Ice Cream. While at the store stocking up on recipe ingredients I could only find one bar, 3.5 ounces, of milk chocolate and I needed twice that amount. I used 3.5 ounces of a 70%cocoa chocolate bar for the remainder. Other than that I followed the recipe exactly. I know that beer is occasionally used in chocolate cake, I thought mostly for the moisture factor and I guess to give it a little more depth of flavor but I can distinctly remember hearing that you don't taste the beer. Well you definitely taste the beer in this ice cream which is oddly fantastic! The combination with the chocolate is pretty perfect. If there is any leftover stout in your fridge I think this needs to be made.

Guinness-Milk Chocolate Ice Cream
via The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz

7 ounces milk chocolate, finely chopped
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup sugar
pinch of salt
4 large egg yolks
1 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup Guinness Stout
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Put the chocolate pieces in a large bowl and set a mesh strainer over the top.

Warm the milk, sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.

Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula. Pour the custard through the strainer over the milk chocolate, then stir until the chocolate is melted. Once the mixture is smooth, whisk in the cream, then the Guinness and vanilla. Stir until cool over an ice bath.

Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home