Tuesday, February 2, 2010

chocolate-nut tart bon appetit


I made a sort of resolution with myself that I needed a routine of sorts which would have me making a new recipe on a regular basis. The idea that excited me the most was to make one dessert from each issue of Bon Appetit starting with the January 2010issue. In that issue there was a great section called "All American Comforts" unfortunately none of the recipes were speaking to me. Yet the first image in the section "Fast Easy Fresh" was this great picture of the Chocolate-Nut Tart with Dried Fruit. It was fast and easy, especially because I had a frozen pie crust just waiting to be used in the freezer. I didn't want to run to the store for any extra ingredients so I made a few small changes and omitted on ingredient. The tart is fantastic, chewy dried fruit, crunch from the mixed nuts and an intense chocolate flavor.

Ingredients
1 refrigerated pie crust (half of 15-ounce package)
1/4 cup raspberry preserves (I used apricot)
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
12 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips
1 cup assorted nuts (I used cashews and pecans), toasted, coarsely chopped
1 cup assorted dried fruit (I used golden raisins and cranberries)
Large pinch of coarse kosher salt
1/3 cup toffee bits, such as Skor (I omitted this)

Preparation
Preheat oven to 450°F. Press pie crust onto bottom and up sides of 10-inch-diameter tart pan with removable bottom; trim edges, if needed. Pierce crust all over with fork. Bake until deep golden brown, about 12 minutes. Cool. Spread preserves over bottom of crust.
Bring cream to simmer in heavy medium saucepan. Reduce heat to low; add chocolate chips and stir until melted and smooth. Remove from heat. Stir in nuts, fruit, and coarse salt. Spread chocolate mixture in crust. Sprinkle toffee bits over tart. Chill until set, about 2 hours. Serve cold or at room temperature.

1 comment:

emofly said...

Hi Mary Jo! I'm the Associate Multimedia Editor of Bon Appetit and just want to say how excited we are that you've started challenging yourself to cook desserts from each issue of the magazine. We'll be following along! -Emily, BA Web Editor