Monday, March 16, 2009

Luxury Brownies

A few weeks ago fellow baker Tender Crumb (tendercrumb.blogspot.com) announced she was on a quest for the perfect brownie. I'm all about brownies and was excited to see where the venture took her. I was happy with her Baked brownie recipe and was anxious to make it until I saw there was espresso in it (in a few months I'll be back on caffeine but until then I'm keeping it out of the house). Then last week I was checking out Chocolate and Zucchini and noticed she had made a brownie recipe and had gotten it from Coco&Me. I checked out Coco&Me (cocoandme.com) blog and saw the original recipe. It's all about this former graphic designer turned baker who sells her goods once a week at an outdoor market in London. She states that these brownies are "seriously the BEST" and that they sell out each week. How could I not try them. I'm not a huge fan of nuts in my brownies but decided to stay true to the recipe and went for it. She uses a combination of pistachio, walnut, hazelnut and pecans. I had pecans and hazelnuts on hand so that is what I added. I'm not use to measuring ingredients in grams but found it to be pretty easy. And I headed to the computer for a Celsius/Fahrenheit converter to find out what 180 C was, 355 F :)

Luxury Brownies
from cocoandme.com

230g butter, roughly cubed
300g sugar
200g whole eggs (approximately 4) whisked up
230g dark chocolate (I used Callebaut 72% chopped)
140g flour
40g of cocoa powder (I used scharffenberger)
200g of nuts of your choice

20 cm square pan (which is 10", I used 9" close enough)

Prepare:
Butter the baking tin. Then line the bottom & sides with parchment paper. Sift together the flour and the cocoa powder. Have the chocolate ready in a large mixing bowl. Leave aside some nuts to decorate the surface of the brownies (I skipped this bit).

Melt the butter completely in a large pot. I used a medium pot and will definitely use a bigger one next time. Add the sugar and dissolve. She suggests pouring the egg mixture and mixing well with a whisk and being careful the butter isn't too hot and cook the eggs. I was afraid of that happening and instead added a bit of the butter-sugar mixture to the eggs first to get the temperatures closer and then added it to the pot. Pour the hot mixture over the chocolate in a bowl. Spatula in the flour and the cocoa powder. Mix until there are no traces of flour left. Mix in the nuts and pour into prepared pan. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes. It took mine exactly 25 minutes. She said that it's cooked when the edges have gone slightly dry, the top is shiny and has cracked. The center of the brownie shouldn't be wobbly when shook. And remember the toothpick method won't work on fudgy brownies. Leave aside to cool. Don't cut until they've reached room temperature, or even better leave it untouched for a whole day to rest. I let them get to room temperature but had to get the pictures before the sunset so I wasn't patient enough to wait a whole day.

I was suspicious when I was cutting off the edges that these were not going to be fudgy which is a requirement of mine when it comes to brownies but as I cut the brownies up into 12 squares, I could see they were perfect. And the taste....super chocolate flavor. I admit the nuts were a bit distracting and will try it next time without. As my husband said "you need a tall glass of milk with these".

3 comments:

Jeff & Erika said...

they can't be as good as your other recipe, can they? try the other recipe with espresso as soon as you can and let us all know - as you know I'm all about brownies too!

Linda said...

I'm with you --- no nuts in my brownies! Still, love the idea of the mixed nuts for those who like them...and love the story about the baker!

Gigi said...

oooo, they sound and look luxurious indeed! I too say nay to nuts in brownies.